Friday, June 11, 2010

Day 13: Thoughts on College

Catherine
First I need to give some background. This time last year I had no idea where I wanted to go to college so I applied to the 5 schools that seemed the most likely for me to end up at but every one of them had problems. A&M has no art school. Baylor just didn't seem really for me. SCAD seemed to small for me. I didn't think I had a shot of getting into UT. And TCU is just so expensive. Anyways I visited all of them and to my surprise got into UT.
I then narrowed it down to UT and A&M. UT seemed better for me academically and A&M seemed to be more suited for me socially. I was freaked out by the "crazy" world and I just felt like it would be too big of a jump. At that point I went and talked to my art teachers and they challenged me with this. Facts are facts. A&M probably wouldn't change into a good design school while would be there. UT had the exact program that seemed suited for what I love. However, the what I wasn't sure about was what scared me. I let my fear of the UT social scene stop me from making the decision that made sense. 
 "Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God" Romans 12:2 
Giving God your fears means trusting that He has a bigger, better plan than the things we see in the moment and that He will take care of us in the things that scare us. We often make their emotions our god, even when we think we're trusting God. I made the best decision I could on the facts and took my fears out of the equation and now I'm headed to UT. 
The decision was the hardest part. After that, all was down hill (except getting my Hardin application in on time, which was a nightmare). I have an awesome room mate and  a few friends going with me. I'm getting excited about it! I have to save the reasons why for another blog.  

No comments:

Post a Comment