Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Day 18: The art of the Meet-Cute

Catherine


So lately I've been considering social rules. By lately, I mean tonight. My friend,  Haley, who left TCA after freshman year threw a party tonight. She had four people from TCA and the rest from Hebron, her high-school. The night ended in country dancing and I'll just sum it up by saying that my 2 stepping experience was unfortunate. 

The thing is, situations like this will happen all the time in college, especially Freshman year. I will have parties where I know pretty much no one. Anyways I'm going to have to learn how to deal with meeting people. Here's the rules for myself for college. By the way, I so didn't follow these tonight. However, I've noticed that when I do follow these rules, my meet-cutes (a word from the Holiday, if you were wondering) end up much more comfortable. 

We (Skylar, Katy, and I) isolated ourselves to the swing-set picnic table.

1. Always smile when you meet them. People like to know that you're enjoying happy for the opportunity to talk to them. Good body language also goes along with this one. 
2. Asses the situation. If it's someone either in the business world or your elder then shake their hand, if not pass on the hand shake. I've gone through phases of always shaking hands and never shaking hands, but I think that somewhere in the middle's better. 
3. Ask specific questions. I really don't like those broad questions or the unoriginal ones. That being said, I'm always still so interested to hear where a Senior is planning to go to college. By the way, Seniors get asked that close to 500 times if I had to guess. 
4. Pick a topic that you can relate to other people you know standing around you. Bringing other people into the conversation always makes it easier. 
5. Avoid over-dramatization or sarcasm. After all, the person doesn't even know you. I'm personally never too good with sarcasm. I just can't decipher the hidden meanings from the truth. 
6. It's ok not to click with someone. Don't take it personally. 

I don't assume to be the expert but writing those out helped me think about it. Sorry, this blog a lot of times just turns into my thoughts. Maybe a blog should be that way. I'm not sure.

Anyways, I have my rules but I'm not sure if they'll be enough for the insanity called rush. I'm excited about it but it simply seems exhausting. One party with small talk makes me tired but 12? Oh my. However, the word on the street is that the person who doesn't complain stands out so I'm ready to keep my emotions to myself and try out my tips.

No comments:

Post a Comment